lichess.org
Donate

lichess mobile app (v7.12.0) is not working

Same issue started today. Huawei emui android. It works on redmi 5. I am puzzled. Restarted tablet, reinstalled app, cleaned cache.... No effect
@benwerner said in #9:
> It's most likely the same issue everybody else is having on PCs with outdated OSs. The proper solution would be to update to Android 7.1.1 or higher but I guess that's not easy on many older devices if the manufacturer's support has ended.
>
> Lichess is working on some potential solutions but not sure how it will turn out.
>
> Though most likely you will start facing similar issues on quite a few other websites and potentially apps as well and such old Android versions really aren't a good idea anyway from a security standpoint. Personally, I'd install a custom ROM with a newer Android version if getting a new phone is not an option but I guess that's also not quite that simple to do.

Aw shoot, now I have to get a new phone.
My phone is android 6.0.1 and i'm fine with it.

I'm not gonna buy a new phone just because lichess wanted me to do so. It's a just a little application. either fix it and make it compatible again or i'll say goodbye.. Probably many other people will do the same.

I'll use chess.com's app to play on mobile and may play on lichess when i'm on pc.. or maybe.. i'll keep playing on chess.com idk.
I mean, it's most likely not just Lichess that has stopped working. Roughly 2% of the whole internet uses the same CA. Though I guess that's barely low enough that you might not be using any of those besides Lichess if you're lucky. At least the big important ones probably use something else. But the root issue is still your OS being too outdated to the point that the old encryption root certificate it supports ran out two days ago. Even if Lichess may switch to a non-free CA that will still be supported for longer, it's not really a good idea to use a system that hasn't been getting security updates in over 2 years now. Sadly, most Android manufacturers don't really support their phones properly for any reasonable amount of time even if at least some are starting to improve in small steps now.

Ofc buying a new phone just to use Lichess is unreasonable but it's at least something to keep in mind for the next time. And if you are at all able to, you should really consider upgrading your OS, if necessary via a custom ROM.
Updating Android OS just to play Chess is not practical. The App Interface is better than the browser interface. I would request a fix in the App.
I also experience this. If it is just a certificate issue, what's the problem? Just change the certificate. You could complain about older devices if it were unsolvable for them.
Lichess has already stopped working in the browser on my tablet today. The further the better, yes.
Same problem here for two days. All other apps work and old phone completely fine, too. Seems like a hassle to have to start updating phones just to play chess.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.