lichess.org
Donate

Am I a jerk?

What do you gain by always playing until the end? Occasionally you may get a draw or even a win, but is it worth the time?
It's perfectly okay to play till the end for many reasons.

There are often a lot of unforeseen defensive resources or sketchy drawing chances like forced stalemates. Nothing wrong with trying to maximise your score.

If you are simply trying to win/draw on time then that's also fine, that's the rule of the game and time control. If someone has got a problem with this there is always time increment available.

Some people might rightfully view you as a jerk but they reserve the right to block you and not play against players like that.

The only despicable thing to do is idling a lost game, letting your time run out. That's just a bullshit waste of time.
Yeah I would never let the time run out.

As for what I gain by continuing on playing with less material, it's just for the challenge of trying to make up for the mistake. Today, I blundered my Queen away, then managed to take him to Forktown and gain his, finally managing a win. I felt pretty good about it actually :-)
Maybe I'm in a minority here, but in cases where I'm clearly winning and in no danger of losing on time, I usually hope my opponent doesn't resign because I want to finish it off. I only hate when people literally just sit there and use up their time without moving to be dicks. Otherwise I don't think I've ever been annoyed by someone playing out a game instead of resigning.
I don't think you are the minority or if you are you are the rational minority.

Actually the opposite side of the spectrum is even crazier- complaining about resigning and not letting them win. That truly boggles my mind. :D
I always recommend my pupils to play until the end. That is until they reach a certain level. Personally i get slightly annoyed when people refuse to resign in obviously lost positions, which means i probably wont accept a rematch here on lichess, or i mignt not want analyze the game during a tournament.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.